Saturday, September 1, 2012

Scientific Method

Here is a highlight of what we have discussed in Science during the first two weeks of school:

What questions do scientists ask?
*Scientists ask questions about the natural world using their five senses.
*Scientists work alone or in teams to investigate questions.
*Scientists develop explanations based on collected data.



How do scientists use tools to observe?
*A tool is an object or device used to perform a task.
*Scientists use many tools, including thermometers, microscopes, balances, graduated cylinders, beakers, measuring cups, and computers. How do scientists answer questions?
*Scientists use "methods" as they work- organized steps for answering a question (by doing experiments, observations, surveys, and sampling).
*Evidence is used to develop reasonable answers to questions.
*Scientists compare their results with other scientists.


Note: Before answering their questions, scientists first study what other scientists have already learned about the answers to their questions. They use reference materials such as encyclopedias, books, magazines, the Internet, and more. This helps them make a "hypothesis", an "if-then-because" statement, that is a possible answer to their question.

How do scientists keep records?
*Procedures are step-by-step instructions for how to perform tests.
*Scientists keep detailed and accurate data in order to share their findings with others.
*Scientists are careful to have only one independent variable (one thing that changes) in their experiment. All other variables are kept the same.
*Scientists analyze the data they collect as they experiment (the facts that they learn are called "evidence").

What are models?
*Scientists use models to help them understand the natural world.
*Scientists use different types of models, such as two-dimensional, three-dimensional, computer, and idea models.



Check out a cool Study Jams video to help you review the Scientific Method: Click Here


How well do you think you understand the Scientific Method? Leave a comment and let us know!


19 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video it really helped now I think I'm ready for the test coming up!!Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi conducted a science project/experiment over the summer. She planted some seeds and then watered then with various liquids to see which would grow and which would not. She recorded her efforts in her science journal. She is looking forward to conducting new experiments with her class this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the scientific methods like the back of my hand.
    Audrey:):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I feel really confident because I learned alot of this in 3rd grade however I did not learn all of it and now learning the rest in 4th grade...so now it's time to put my brain to the test...Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used these steps to do a experiment with my dad.My dad is a scientist.-Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do we find the login credentials for the Science Textbook online?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Email Mrs. Phillips if you need your textbook access

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think the video really helped me with my test abigale

    ReplyDelete
  9. how do scientist find the right tools for their experiment. the video relly helped me understand the methood.Joshua M

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is time for my brain to get working on science tests and science!!!! I can't what to see my test we took one day Love Jordan!!! :):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the video and science is my favorite subject in scool

    LOVE:grace!!:):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WE took the test on the scientific method.
    AUDREY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Science is my favorite subject ,thats why I love that viedo
    AUDREY

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it pretty well!
    AUDREYW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love doing science expirements.
    EMYLIE W

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love doing expirements because we get to learn and some times we can do them at home!!! Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did a growing crystal expierment !!!!
    AUDREY

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greetings! I can see the fact that you deeply get the sense of what you are telling about here. Do you an education which is somehow linked with the topic of this post? Thanks a bunch in advance for your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Torres,
    Our district uses "Interactive Science" by Pearson as a primary curriculum tool. I pulled a bulk of the information for this post from that source. Thank you for inquiring. :-)
    Angela Phillips

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Student Chefs, please remember to sign your comment with FIRST NAMES ONLY. Your comments will appear after approval. Thank you!