Monday, September 17, 2012

Thinking Over Our Stories

We have been talking about how we can record our thinking while we read our books. The post-it notes are running low, as readers begin to jot notes about their books. We call this "reading with our partner in mind". As we read, we think about parts of our book that we would love to share with our reading partner! In Miss Barron's class, one reader was ecstatic to show Miss Barron her book, Esperanza Rising. After Miss Barron gave a book talk about the book, readers couldn't wait to check it out from the classroom library! She had filled up the pages with many post-it notes to record her thinking! A few hours later, Mr. Pinchot's class came to Miss Barron for ELA. Miss Barron was excited to hear from another reader that she was also reading Esperanza Rising. It was covered with post-it notes, just like the other reader's book!

She is enjoying reading this book and has filled it with many interesting notes!

Wow! It must be a great book because another reader has also filled it up with notes to share with her partner!


Readers, can you share how you have used your sticky notes? What have you found helpful about this strategy?

9 comments:

  1. I love my book and in my sticky notes i've got somthings in there that i would like to share with me traveling partner and we didnt have that much time to share with my partner and i hope we do get some time soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am reading the book, Sophie the chatterbox and so far on my sticky noted i have blurry movies, ummm, favorite chapters, and a TON of paragraghs, sentances, and pages that really pull me in or that i really have a mental mind movie in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use sticky notes when i have a idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sharing things with my partner about my book. I also like to hear about her book, it is very interesting

    Nevaeh

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love sharing things with my partner about books i also i like to hear about my partners book too.
    from MARITZA

    ReplyDelete
  6. As readers, we have used our post-it notes to record questions, remind ourselves of what has happened, remember favorite or funny parts, jot notes about main events from each chapter, make comments about our mind movies, and keep track of shocking or surprising events. Today, our class is practicing how to write a thorough comment on the blog! -Miss Barron's Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put on my post-it notes is: shocking events, vocabulary words I don`t know, and connections I have to the book.

    I am always excited to share my post-it notes with my reading partner.

    Sofia Miss Barron`s Class

    ReplyDelete
  8. As,a reader a use sticky notes beacause I want to understand what I'am reading. I always want to share vocabulary words,grabers and,connections with my parner.-samantha A

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use it when it's my favorit part,when it's a part that is important,and a part that you will predicet your story too,things that you want to share or tell to your partner about your story like what do you like about your story and some parts that your partner and you will like about the story too! Sawyer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Student Chefs, please remember to sign your comment with FIRST NAMES ONLY. Your comments will appear after approval. Thank you!