Thursday, March 7, 2013

Recipe Secrets!

Pssst!!! 

Here's a little homework hint from the ELA kitchen:

Did you know that, when referring to the infinite resources we access with our web browsers, the word "Internet" is a proper noun?  Think of the Internet as one big place people visit to get answers, connect with people, share information, and virtually explore the world.  We already know that specific places, such as Chets Creek Elementary, St. John's Town Center, or Walt Disney World, are all proper nouns.

In contrast, the word "website" is NOT a proper noun.  Why?  Just like the word "school" or "mall", this word could be referring to many different specific places, and we don't know exactly which one.  An exact website, like Culinary Court, should be capitalized, showing that it is a special place and therefore a proper noun.

Keep this hint in mind when you're completing your study guides this week, chefs!

To read more about tricky proper nouns, check out Grammar Girl's post.  

4 comments:

  1. I now know that the "i" in Internet has to be a capital letter. It was also on our homework. Now I know that when I see the "i" in Internet wrong, I know what to do.
    Sofia D. 4th grade Mrs.Koster's class

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that was very interesting! I never knew that the "i" in Internet had to be capitalized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did not know internet was soposed to be capitallized. This did help me on my homework a few weeks ago.
    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this it was interesting to me because I never know internet was supposed to be capitalized
    Jordan S

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Student Chefs, please remember to sign your comment with FIRST NAMES ONLY. Your comments will appear after approval. Thank you!