Thursday, February 7, 2013

Using a Modified Timeline

Good writers know the first, and some say most important, step to writing a fantastic story is to PLAN.

Earlier in the year, writers were taught to use a timeline to plan for their narrative writing.  Timelines help writers organize the events of their story, beginning to end.  The process of creating a timeline helps a writer imagine how their story will go.  Where will they begin?  How will they end their story?  What events will they magnify, or make more important, by slowing down and telling in a "frame by frame" style?

Recently, Mrs. Nash introduced a modified timeline to Culinary Court writers.  This timeline, designed to look like a lightning bolt, has been reshaped to help writers focus on developing the "heart", the most important part, of their story.  Good writers know that they need to slow down through the heart of their story and develop strong mind movies for their readers through the use of sensory details, dialogue, specific action, thoughts, and emotion.  Using a modified timeline, writers are more aware of the heart and are encouraged to intentionally plan more fine details and description in this section of their planning.

As they're planning, writers should remember the purpose of the introduction and resolution of a story, too.  An introduction, also called an exposition, is intended to grab or hook readers attention, introduce the characters, reveal elements of the plot, and show the reader the setting.  It prepares readers to experience the heart of the story.  However, a conclusion, or resolution, should show conclude the main events of the story in a natural way, leaving a reader with a sense of satisfaction.  Strong conclusions include emotion, often a memory or reflection of the heart of the story, and a decision, wish or hope for the future.

Writers, how have you liked using the modified timeline to plan your narrative writing?  How is it changing your planning process?  Do you find it challenging in anyway?  

8 comments:

  1. When the hart of the story is built in it helps me alot because it shows you the hart if the story!

    Jordan S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this stratagey really helps me with my narrative writing. ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has changed my process by: now I can easily add more details to the heart of my story.Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the modified timeline, and sometimes find it hard to do more then one event in the ending 💋 Abigail

      Delete
  4. I really like to use the modified timeline . It helps me develop more details , and sometimes this strategy helps me stay on my topics !!
    Yuri

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to help me visualize my story while I plan! The middle needs to slow down and give the juicy details! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It works for some topics for me,it depends on the topic. It is a really amazing plan to do.

    Mrs.Koster's class 4th grade

    Sofia D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this strategy really helps me because i can write the story in my plan also it keeps all of my events organized.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Student Chefs, please remember to sign your comment with FIRST NAMES ONLY. Your comments will appear after approval. Thank you!